— Rice continues its Conference USA opening homestand this Thursday, Jan. 3, when it hosts Southern Miss. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m. CT and the game will be livestreamed by CUSAtv.
• Rice is 5-9 overall and 0-1 in Conference USA after dropping its conference opener to North Texas, 103-87, last Saturday.
• Rice has four players averaging at least 9.5 points, led by junior forward Robert Martin
with 13.2 points. He is connecting on 52.9% from the field and a team-high 48.0% from three, which is second in Conference USA. He's also second on the team with 5.6 rebounds per game.
• Freshman guard Chris Mullins
is second on the team with 12.9 points. He also leads the team in steals (1.3).
• Junior guard Ako Adams
is third on the team with 12.2 points per game. He is connecting on 38.0% from three while leading the team with 3.5 assists per game. He also leads Conference USA and is 10th in the nation (as of Jan. 1) in free throw percentage, connecting on 92.9% from the line.
• Graduate transfer Jack Williams
is scoring 9.5 points while leading the squad with 7.4 rebounds.
• Freshman Quentin Millora-Brown
leads Conference USA in field goal percentage, connecting on 70.0% from the floor.
• The Owls are scoring 75.8 points but are allowing 81.2.
• Rice is connecting on 44.2% from the field and 33.3% from three while allowing 46.9% from the floor and 35.1% from three.
• The Owls are being outrebounded, 37.1-to-35.6
• Head coach Scott Pera
is in his second season leading the Rice men's basketball program.
Scouting Southern Miss
• Southern Miss enters today's game with an 8-5 record overall and 0-1 in Conference USA. The Golden Eagles lost its conference opener at Louisiana Tech, 71-56, last Saturday.
• USM is led by senior guard Cortez Edwards with 14.2 points. He is tied for third in Conference USA with 2.1 steals.
• Redshirt senior guard Tyree Griffin is second on the team in scoring with 12.5. He leads the league in assist-to-turnover ratio (3.4), is second in assists (6.5) and sixth in steals (2.0).
• Redshirt senior guard Dominic Magee is scoring 9.5 points and redshirt junior forward Leonard Harper-Baker leads the team with 6.7 rebounds.
• Southern Miss is scoring 72.7 points per game while allowing just 62.3.
• USM is connecting on 44.6% from the field and 35.1% from three while allowing just 39.2% from the floor and 32.0% from three.
• The Golden Eagles are outrebounding its opponents, 38.1-to-37.2.
• Southern Miss leads the league in assists (17.2) and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.8).
• Head coach Doc Sadler is in his fifth season at the helm of the Southern Miss men's basketball program where he owns a 44-86 (.338) record. In 13 seasons as a head coach, Sadler is 193-193 (.500).
• Rice and Southern Miss will meet for the only time this year and the 20th time overall.
• Rice holds a 10-9 record in the series.
• Rice is 6-2 in games played in Houston, including winning the last three.
• Last year, the Owls fell to USM in Hattiesburg, 86-75, snapping a six-game winning streak in the series.
• Rice closes its three-game homestand this Saturday, Jan. 5, when it hosts Louisiana Tech. Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m. CT and the game will be livestreamed by ESPN3.