Box Score Feb. 14, 2018
Box Score | Photo Gallery
by Chuck Pool (firstname.lastname@example.org) -
Freshman Anna Bowtell shook off a tiebreak loss in her first set to defeat Texas A&M's Dorthea Faa-Hviding in three sets and give Rice a 4-3 win at the George R. Brown Tennis Center on Wednesday.
Bowtell's win allowed the Owls (4-2) to defeat the Aggies (7-1) in back-to-back duals for the first time since 1999/2000 and the win at home was the Owls first over the Aggies since March of 2000, when Bowtell was just seven month old.
"It was freshman playing freshman out there (on court six) and they both had some great shots and had some spray shots, but I was really proud of Anna for staying the course.," Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "There was a lot of fight and intensity out there today. I was proud of her for sticking with her game and swinging and moving and finally getting the job done."
Facing the Owls on the Rice campus for the first time since 2008, the Aggies appeared destined to take the match's first point with a win in doubles.
After an Owls win on two and an Aggie win on court three, A&M opened with a 5-0 lead on court one, but Rice's Lindsey Hodge and Wendy Zhang, who are currently ranked 17th in the nation, staged a massive comeback to win 7-5 and give the Owls the early advantage.
"Credit to Wendy and Lindsey for just sticking with it and believing in their game.," Schmidt said. "They played with a lot of heart. They are pretty unique in their style and they stayed with their style. They have a lot of experience. The doubles point was huge and helped us get over the hump today."
The Owls made an early move to take command in the match, winning four of six first sets in singles, but in the end, the crucial point fell to Bowtell, who dropped a 10-8 tiebreak in the first set to Faa-Hviding but responded with a 6-1 win in the second.
Savannah Durkin and Michaela Haet delivered a pair of wins to give Rice a 3-1 lead, but a pair of Aggies wins at the second and fourth positions left the match to be decided on court six, with Bowtell delivering with one final service break.
The Owls will be back in action on Saturday when they host the Houston Cougars in the first dual match between the two schools since 2011. First serves are scheduled for 11 a.m.
Texas A&M vs Rice
2/14/2018 at Houston, TX
(George R. Brown Tennis Center)
Rice 4, Texas A&M 3
1. #87 Domenica Gonzalez (A&M) def. Lindsey Hodge (RICEW) 6-4, 6-1
2. Macarena Olivares (A&M) def. Wendy Zhang (RICEW) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Michaela Haet (RICEW) def. Eva Paalma (A&M) 6-2, 7-5
4. Riley McQuaid (A&M) def. Fernanda Astete (RICEW) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Savannah Durkin (RICEW) def. Iulia Ivascu (A&M) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
6. Anna Bowtell (RICEW) def. Dorthea Faa-Hviding (A&M) 6-7 (8-10), 6-1, 6-3
1. #17 Lindsey Hodge/Wendy Zhang (RICEW) def. Domenica Gonzalez/Eva Paalma (A&M) 7-5
2. Anna Bowtell/Priya Niezgoda (RICEW) def. Iulia Ivascu/Macarena Olivares (A&M) 6-2
3. Riley McQuaid/Dorthea Faa-Hviding (A&M) def. Michaela Haet/Savannah Durkin (RICEW) 6-2
Texas A&M 7-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,3,5,2,4,6)