Feb. 22, 2017
By: Tim Andrzejewski (email@example.com)
Game Notes | CUSA.tv | Listen Live | | Buy Tickets
HOUSTON — Rice looks to get back on track this Thursday, Feb. 23, when it hosts Southern Miss. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at CUSA.tv.
• Rice enters Thursday night's game with an 18-9 record, 8-6 in Conference USA. The Owls had their five-game winning streak snapped last Saturday after falling to UTEP, 79-71.
• Sophomore guard Marcus Evans is third in the conference in scoring, averaging 19.2 points per game. He is also fourth in three-point field goals made per game (2.5), sixth in assists (4.2) and 10th in three-point field goal percentage (.384).
• Redshirt junior guard/forward Egor Koulechov is averaging 18.4 points, good for fifth-place in C-USA. He leads the league in three-point field goal percentage, connecting on 48.4% from beyond the arc. The Volgograd, Russia native is also fourth in the league in rebounding (8.7), sixth in free throw percentage (.807) and three-point field goals made per game (2.3) and eighth in minutes played (33.7).
• Redshirt junior guard Marcus Jackson is averaging 12.3 points, 2.4 assists and 2.4 rebounds and sophomore guard Connor Cashaw is averaging 7.9 points and is second on the team with 5.3 rebounds.
• The Owls are second in Conference USA in scoring, averaging 81.7 points per game while allowing 74.4.
• Rice is second in C-USA in field goal percentage (47.0%) while leading the league in three-point field goal percentage (39.3%). It is allowing 43.4% from the floor and 32.6% from three.
• Rice is outrebounding its opponents by an average of 4.3 boards per game, 38.2-to-33.9.
• The Owls are also second in the league with 9.3 three-pointers made per game.
• Head coach Mike Rhoades is in his third season at the helm of the Rice basketball program. He owns a 42-49 (.462) record on South Main and a 239-125 (.657) record in 12 years as a head coach.
Scouting Southern Miss
• Southern Miss enters Thursday night's contest with an 8-19 record, 5-10 in Conference USA. The Golden Eagles have lost four or their last five games after falling to Florida Atlantic last Saturday, 94-82.
• Senior guard/forward Quinton Campbell leads the team with 13.1 points and 5.8 rebounds.
• Sophomore guard Cortez Edwards is scoring 10.9 points while leading the team with 3.4 assists. He is also pulling down 5.4 rebounds per game.
• Southern Miss is scoring just 61.7 points per game while allowing 71.7.
• The Golden Eagles are connecting on just 39.3% from the field and 29.8% from three while allowing 44.1% from the floor and 37.4% from three.
• Southern Miss is being outrebounded, 36.6-to-33.9.
• Head coach Doc Sadler is in his third season at the helm of the Southern Miss men's basketball program where he owns a 25-60 (.294) record. In 11 years as a head coach, Sadler is 174-167 (.510).
• Rice and Southern Miss will meet for the second time this year and the 17th time overall.
• The series is tied at eight but Rice has won the last four.
• Earlier this year, Rice defeated the Golden Eagles, 61-58, in Hattiesburg.
• In games played in Houston, the Owls lead, 5-2.
• Head coach Mike Rhoades has won all four meetings against Southern Miss.
• Rice closes its home schedule this Saturday, Feb. 25, when it hosts its annual Senior Day against Louisiana Tech. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT and will be live-streamed at CUSA.tv.