Dec. 29, 2017
By: Tim Andrzejewski (email@example.com)
Game Notes | CUSA.tv | Listen |
HOUSTON — Rice continues its conference-opening road trip this Saturday, Dec. 30 when it travels to El Paso to face UTEP. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. CT. The game will be livestreamed at CUSA.tv.
• Rice is 3-11 on the year and 0-1 in Conference USA. The Owls have lost four straight games after falling to UTSA in their conference opener on Thursday, 79-66.
• Junior guard Connor Cashaw is 10th in Conference USA in scoring (16.2) and ninth in rebounding (6.8). He is also averaging 2.9 assists and 2.1 three-pointers per game.
• Graduate guard A.J. Lapray is second on the team with 11.1 points and is connecting on 44.4% from beyond the arc.
• Sophomore guard Ako Adams is averaging 8.4 points and 3.0 boards. He also leads the team with 3.2 assists.
• Freshman Malik Osborne is second on the team in rebounding with 6.2 boards.
• The Owls are averaging 66.9 points per game while allowing 75.4.
• Rice is connecting on just 39.5% from the floor and 31.0% from three. Its opponents are shooting just 43.6% from the field and are being held to 31.6% from beyond the arc, which is tops in Conference USA.
• The Owls are also outrebounding their opponents, 38.4-to-37.1.
• Head coach Scott Pera is in his first season leading the Rice men's basketball program after serving its last three years as its Associate Head Coach.
• UTEP enters tonight's game with a 5-8 record and 0-1 in Conference USA. The Miners have lost two straight games after falling to North Texas in its conference opener, 63-62.
• Graduate guard Keith Frazier leads the squad in scoring with 14.5 points. He is second on the team with 6.2 rebounds and is tied for fourth in the league in three-pointers made per game (2.7).
• Senior center Matt Willms is second on the team with 13.0 points while leading the team with 6.7 rebounds.
• Senior guard Omega Harris is scoring 12.1 points per game and leads the squad with 2.2 assists.
• UTEP is scoring 67.5 points per game and is second in the conference, allowing 67.3 points.
• The Miners are connecting on 42.6% from the field and just 28.7% from three. Their opponents are connecting on just 404% from the floor, which is second in C-USA but 38.4% from beyond the arc.
• UTEP is being outrebounded, 39.3-to-34.6.
• Interim head coach Phil Johnson is in his first season at the helm of the UTEP men's basketball program, where he holds a 4-3 (.571) record. In five years as a head coach, Johnson is 35-86 (.289).
• Rice and UTEP will meet for the first of two meeting this year and the 34th time overall.
• UTEP holds a 22-11 lead in the series and has won 18 of the last 22 meetings, including the last eight.
• The teams will also meet on Mar. 1 in Houston.
• The Miners lead 13-3 in games played in El Paso. They have won the last four and nine of the last 10.
• Rice begins 2018 at home next Thursday, Jan. 4, when it hosts Old Dominion. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT and the game will be livestreamed by CUSAtv.