July 1, 2016
By: Kenny Bybee (firstname.lastname@example.org)
EUGENE, OR - Former Rice Owl All-American track and field athlete Funmi Jimoh (Rice, 2007) qualified for the finals of the long jump at the U.S. Olympic Track and Field Trials on Friday.
A native of Houston and Dulles H.S., Jimoh advanced to the finals for the third time in her illustrious career by placing ninth (6.58m/21-7.25) out of 25 competitors (top 12 advance).
Jimoh jumped 6.58m on her first attempt, followed by a foul and a 6.55m on her third attempt. Jimoh and the other 11 finalists compete for three spots on Saturday, July 2, at 1:30 p.m. (CT) televised on NBC at the University of Oregon's Hayward Field.
Long Jump Finalists
1. Brittney Reese- 7.01m/23-0
2. Shakeela Saunders- 6.79m/22-3.50
3. Tianna Bartoletta- 6.77m/22-3.50
4. Quanesha Burks- 6.72m/22-0.75
5. Kylie Price- 6.66m/21-10.25
6. Whitney Gipson- 6.65m/21-10
7. Janay DeLoach- 6.59m/21-7.50
8. Kate Hall- 6.59m/21-7.50
9. Funmi Jimoh- 6.58m/21-7.25
10. Kenyattia Hackworth- 6.56m/21-6.25
11. DerRenae Freeman- 6.47m/21-2.75
12. Jasmine Todd- 6.47m/21-2.75