April 17, 2016
by Chuck Pool (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Solo Zinko picked up wins in doubles and singles and her Rice women's tennis teammates matched her efforts as the 41st ranked Owls closed out the 2016 dual campaign by blanking Louisiana Tech 7-0 at the George R. Brown Tennis Center on Sunday.
After being honored prior to the match, Zinko teamed with Savannah Durkin to race to a 6-0 win in doubles and then picked up a 6-1, 6-3 win in singles in her final appearance in on the GRBTC courts.
This was a good win for us," Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "Louisiana Tech has had a good year. They have been in and out of the rankings and the conditions were tough. We had adjust and play well to win and I was pleased with the efforts, especially in singles.
Rice closed the regular season 10-9 overall and 2-0 vs. Conference USA opponents and ended the year by winning three of its last four to build momentum heading into the Conference USA Championship next weekend in Murfreesboro, Tennessee where the Owls will look to become the first school in conference history to win four consecutive team titles.
Schmidt said the Sunday results were just what the team needed in advance of the conference tournament.
"Overall it was a really great day and I was so happy for Solo that we could send her out on a winning note on her Senior Day," Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "It's a hard day for the seniors and I thought she did a good job with it. I'm really proud of her for her four years. Her attitude and perseverance have been awesome, but she's not done yet.
"She's got a lot of tennis left and I'm excited to move forward with her over the next several weeks," she added.
Louisiana Tech vs Rice
4/17/2016 at Houston, Tx
(George R. Brown Tennis Center)
#41 Rice 6, Louisiana Tech 0
1. Alexandra Starkova (LT) vs. Lindsey Hodge (RICE) 1-6, 6-3, 10-7
2. #85 Katherine Ip (RICE) def. Jazmin Britos (LT) 6-1, 6-2
3. Emily Smith (RICE) def. Marta Sramkova (LT) 6-2, 6-3
4. Savannah Durkin (RICE) def. Zoe Chen (LT) 6-3, 6-1
5. Alison Ho (RICE) def. Alba Escalona Perny (LT) 6-2, 6-2
6. Solomiya Zinko (RICE) def. Manoela Chiacchio (LT) 6-1, 6-3
1. Emily Smith/Katherine Ip (RICE) def. Zoe Chen/Alexandra Starkova (LT) 6-4
2. Lindsey Hodge/Alison Ho (RICE) vs. Jazmin Britos/Marta Sramkova (LT) 4-5, unfinished
3. Solomiya Zinko/Savannah Durkin (RICE) def. Taly Merker/Manoela Chiacchio (LT) 6-0
Louisiana Tech 14-6
Rice 10-9; National ranking #41
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,2,5,6,4,1)