Jan. 31, 2016
by Chuck Pool (firstname.lastname@example.org) - Katherine Ip delivered a dominant performance and Savannah Durkin shook off a first set loss to pick up a win, but 18th ranked LSU used its experience to fight off the challenge from the Rice women's tennis team and take a 5-2 decision at the George R. Brown Tennis Center in one half of the second annual "Double Trouble" dual event.
Ip, who is ranked 40th nationally in singles, made quick work of the Tigers 52nd ranked Jessica Golovin, 6-1, 6-1 to briefly tie the match at 1-1. Durkin bounced back from an opening set loss to defeat Abigail Owens 2-6, 6-3, 6-3, but the Tigers closed out the match with three set wins on courts one and three to snap the Owls five-match winning streak in the series.
"We put ourselves in position to win today, but credit to LSU," Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "They were just mentally and physically tougher than us at some points and played with a lot of experience. "Credit to Katherine Ip for going out and taking care of business. She's a steady rock every day and credit to her for getting that point on the board."
The match opened with a hotly-contested doubles point. The squads spilt matches on courts two and three and then saw the decision come down to a tiebreaker on court one when the Tigers' Joana Vale Costa and Ryann Foster rallied for an 8-6 win over Lindsey Hodge and Alison Ho.
The loss dropped the Owls to 2-1 on the season. They will be back on the GRBTC courts next Saturday when they host 65th ranked Arizona.
"There's a lot to build on from this," Schmidt said. "There's a lot of positives from this. Now it's up to us and our team take it, learn from it and get better."
Tennis Match Results
LSU vs Rice
1/31/2016 at Houston, TX
(George R. Brown Tennis Center)
LSU 5, #31 Rice 2
1. #23 Joana Vale Costa (LSU) def. Lindsey Hodge (RICE) 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
2. #40 Katherine Ip (RICE) def. #52 Jessica Golovin (LSU) 6-1, 6-1
3. #93 Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) def. Emily Smith (RICE) 4-6, 7-6, 5-2
4. Ryann Foster (LSU) def. Alison Ho (RICE) 7-5, 6-3
5. Savannah Durkin (RICE) def. Abigail Owens (LSU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Fernanda Astete (RICE) 6-4, 6-4
1. Joana Vale Costa/Ryann Foster (LSU) def. Alison Ho/Lindsey Hodge (RICE) 7-6 (8-6)
2. Katherine Ip/Emily Smith (RICE) def. Abigail Owens/Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) 6-3
3. Ella Taylor/Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Savannah Durkin/Fernanda Astete (RICE) 6-3
Rice 2-1; National ranking #31
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,6,4,1,5,3)