March 22, 2015
The Rice men's tennis team started fast, but saw a reshuffled lineup unable to sustain the early momentum as Tulane took a 4-2 dual victory over the Owls at Pepsi City Park Tennis Center in New Orleans, Louisiana on Sunday afternoon.
The Owls (7-11) jumped out to a 1-0 lead over their former Conference USA rivals thanks to a strong showing in doubles, but after freshman Jamie Malik was scratched from singles because of tightness in his back, the 67th ranked Wave roared back to win four of five completed matches in singles to run their season record to 13-6.
Rice took the early lead thanks to matching 6-4 doubles wins in courts one and three. Gustavo Gonzalez and Adam Gustafsson improved to 6-3 in dual action this year with a win on three while David Warren and Max Andrews followed shortly after with a win on one to give the Owls the early lead.
In singles, the Owls were forced to shuffle the lineup after Malik was unable to compete.
Andrews came through with Rice's second point of the afternoon, shaking off a loss in a second set tiebreak to defeat Tulane's Constantin Schmitz 6-3, 6-7, 6-3. The win was Andrews first career win playing at the second spot in the Owls lineup and was only the fourth loss in 17 decisions for Schmitz this year.
The Owls will open a full week of action at the George R. Brown Tennis Center on Wednesday night when they host 16th ranked Northwestern in a 5 p.m. match that will feature a special appearance by the Flaming Patties Food Truck beginning at 4:30. The first 50 fans will receive a free hamburger and the truck will be onsite throughout the match to provide concession opportunities for fans.
Next weekend will see the Owls host George Washington, Texas A&M Corpus Christi and Louisiana-Lafayette in the 57th annual Rice Invitational. The Owls will face off against George Washington (noon) and Corpus Christi (5 pm) on Saturday and wrap up action with a noon dual against Louisiana-Lafayette on Sunday.
Tennis Match Results
Rice vs Tulane
3/22/2015 at New Orleans, Louisiana
(Pepsi City Park Tennis Center)
#67 Tulane 4, Rice 2
1. #13 Dominik Koepfer (TLNM) def. Srikar Alla (RICE) 6-1, 6-4
2. Max Andrews (RICE) def. Constantin Schmitz (TLNM) 6-3, 6-7 (3-7), 6-3
3. Alex Van Cott (TLNM) vs. Adam Gustafsson (RICE) 2-6, 6-3, 4-4, unfinished
4. Sebastian Rey (TLNM) def. David Warren (RICE) 6-2, 6-1
5. Ian Van Cott (TLNM) def. Gustavo Gonzalez (RICE) 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 6-2
6. Chi-Shan Jao (TLNM) def. Zach Yablon (RICE) 6-1, 6-3
1. David Warren/Max Andrews (RICE) def. Dominik Koepfer/Chi-Shan Jao (TLNM) 6-4
2. Alex Van Cott/Ian Van Cott (TLNM) vs. Jamie Malik/Zach Yablon (RICE) 6-6, unfinished
3. Gustavo Gonzalez/Adam Gustafsson (RICE) def. Constantin Schmitz/Sebastian Rey (TLNM) 6-4
Tulane 13-6; National ranking #67
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,4,1,2,5)