Nov. 20, 2014
Rice-Marshall (C-USA Tourney)
No. 4 Rice Owls (21-9, 11-5 C-USA) vs. No. 5 Marshall Thundering Herd (16-15, 10-6 C-USA)
C-USA Quarterfinals Nov. 21, 2014 2 p.m.
Reed Green Coliseum Hattiesburg, MS
Series: Rice leads, 7-6
Last Mtg: L, 3-2 (11/13/14) at Rice
Championship Central | Live Video (C-USA) Digital Network | @OwlsVB Twitter Updates
Would advance to play winner of No. 1 UTSA/No. 8 Charlotte
C-USA Semifinals Nov. 22, 2014 2 p.m. (C-USA Digital Network)
Reed Green Coliseum Hattiesburg, MS
How To Watch (Click Here For More Information):
The first round and semifinals of the 2014 C-USA Volleyball Championship will be available for viewing on the C-USA Digital Network powered by College Sports Live. Current subscribers to the C-USA Digital Network can click on the watch links above and enter your password information to view the games. New and school-only subscribers, please see below.
The C-USA Digital Network powered by College Sports Live combines streaming audio and video content from all 14 member institutions to provide the most thorough coverage of Conference USA athletics anywhere in the world. Sign-up now to access live game broadcasts, exclusive behind-the-scenes video, game highlights, original programming and press conferences from 19 men's and women's sports across the league, with additional coverage from conference postseason tournaments and events. Fans only looking for access to a single school's content can still subscribe to just that school on monthly and annual renewing terms.
To learn more about the C-USA Digital Network powered by College Sports Live, click here.
C-USA Digital Network Monthly - $14.95
C-USA Digital Network Yearly - $119.95
Subscribe Now to C-USA Digital NetworkNote: If you're currently a subscriber to an College Sports Live product at a member institution and would like to upgrade your subscription to C-USA Digital Network, you'll need to cancel your current subscription and purchase a C-USA Digital Network subscription package separately.Weekend Storylines
- The Owls will be looking to earn the automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament from Conference USA by winning the C-USA Tournament in Hattiesburg, Mississippi this weekend. Rice finished fourth in C-USA and will face No. 5 Marshall on Friday. The Owls are 5-6 all-time in the conference tournament and last won the tournament title in 2009.
- The first round and semifinals of the 2014 C-USA Volleyball Championship will be available for viewing on the C-USA Digital Network powered by College Sports Live.
- Rice is 7-6 all-time against Marshall and are coming off a five-set loss to the Thundering Herd played just a week ago in Houston. The Herd closed the regular season by winning six of their final seven matches.
- Last season the Owls fell in the opening round of the C-USA Tournament by a 3-0 score to UAB in Murfreesboro.
- Earlier this week the Owls were recognized for their 20-plus win season when five total players earned C-USA honors. Jillian Humphrey was selected to the First-Team for the first time in her career while Sara Blasier, Chelsey Harris and Leah Mikesky were all named to the C-USA Second-Team. In addition, freshman middle blocker Portia Okafor was named to the All-Freshman Team.
- Along with being named to the Second-Team All-Conference, Leah Mikesky was also named to the 2014 Conference USA All-Academic squad. The Schulenburg, Texas native boasts a 4.13 GPA in kinesiology and ranked sixth in the league in both kills per set and points per set. It marked the ninth consecutive season the Owls landed at least one student-athlete on the All-Academic Team.
- Jillian Humphrey is one just five Owls to have over 1,000-plus career kills (1,153) and 400-plus career blocks (499). Humphrey is only 7 blocks away from joining Tessa Kuykendall as the only players in Rice history to have 1,000-plus kills and 500-plus blocks.
- Rice head coach Genny Volpe enters this weekend just two wins shy of 200 for her career. In her 11th season, Volpe has compiled a career record of 198-139 with a career winning percentage of .591, both of which rank as the best in school history.
- Rice (21-9) recorded their 13th, 20-win season in school history and the fourth in the Genny Volpe era.
- In the latest RPI rankings of the season the Owls come in at No. 91, behind Western Kentucky (42) and UTSA (66) amongst all C-USA squads.
- The Owls have 14 shutouts in 2014, the most by a Rice team since the Owls had 13 in 2009.