March 8, 2011
The 33rd ranked Rice Owls survived an early blitz by the Memphis Tigers and rebounded to take a 5-2 win in a Conference USA match that was moved indoors to the Galleria Athletic and Tennis Club because of intermittent rain in Houston on Tuesday.
The Owls found themselves down 2-0 on the scoreboard and down a set and a service break at two of the remaining five singles matches before mounting a comeback. Junior Sam Garforth-Bles and senior Oscar Podlewski tied the match at 2-2 with straight set wins at No. 3 and No. 4, but it fell Harry Fowler (No. 1) and Peter Frank (No. 2) to overcome their slow starts to give the Owls the victory.
Both battle back to win their second sets and then both had to slug out clinching third sets in tie-breakers.
Fowler gave the Owls the lead when he downed David O'Hare 8-6 in the tie-breaker and Frank delivered the match-clinching win moments later when he defeated Joe Salisbury 7-2 in the decisive 13th game of the third set. Isaumu Tachibana then closed out the match with a win at No. 6 to give the Owls a deceptively wide final margin of victory.
The Owls will be back in action on Friday afternoon when they host 43rd-ranked Wake Forest at 1:30 pm as part of a doubleheader against the Deacons. The Rice women's team will face Wake Forest at 10 am on Friday.
Tennis Match Results
University of Memphis vs Rice
3/8/2011 at Houston, TX
(Galleria Athletic and Tennis Club)
#33 Rice 5, University of Memphis 2
1. Harry Fowler (RICE) def. David O'Hare (MEM) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
2. Peter Frank (RICE) def. Joe Salisbury (MEM) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
3. Oscar Podlewski (RICE) def. Leon Nasemann (MEM) 7-6, 6-3
4. Sam Garforth-Bles (RICE) def. Johnny Grimal (MEM) 6-3, 6-2
5. David Henry (MEM) def. Christian Saravia (RICE) 7-5, 6-2
6. Isamu Tachibana (RICE) def. Cedric De Zutter (MEM) 6-4, 6-1
1. Harry Fowler/Oscar Podlewski (RICE) vs. Jordan Smith/David Henry (MEM) 5-3, unfinished
2. Joe Salisbury/David O'Hare (MEM) def. Christian Saravia/Isamu Tachibana (RICE) 8-4
3. Leon Nasemann/John Taylor (MEM) def. Peter Frank/Jonathan Chang (RICE) 8-3
University of Memphis 8-5
Rice 10-3; National ranking #33
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,4,3,1,2,6)