Feb. 20, 2011
The 48th ranked Rice Owls rebounded from a rough Saturday outing to bounce back and down #43 Utah, 5-2 at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center in Tucson, Arizona on Sunday. The Owls had opened their weekend schedule by falling to #59 Arizona on Saturday.
"Today was a total team effort and I am extremely proud of the way our team competed," Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "We told them after yesterday's match that what they did today would really show the character of this team and to say our team rose to the occasion is an understatement."
After splitting the first two doubles matches, the Owls grabbed the doubles point and the lead in the match thanks to a spirited comeback by Daniella Trigo and Jessica Jackson, who spotted their opponents a 4-0 cushion before winning 8-6 at No. 3.
Rice carried the momentum from that comeback over into singles competition as Dominique Harmath, Trigo and Rebbeka Hänle won their matches in straight sets to clinch the match for the Owls.
The Owls will be back on the road next weekend with matches against Colorado and # 19 Arkansas in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
Tennis Match Results
Rice vs Utah
2/20/2011 at Tucson, AZ
(LaNelle Robson Tennis Center)
#48 Rice 5, #43 Utah 2
1. Rebekka Hänle (RICE) def. Anastasia Putilina (UTAH) 6-3, 6-4
2. Evgenia Kryuchkova (UTAH) def. Jessica Jackson (RICE) 7-6, 6-3
3. Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Lucia Kovarcikova (UTAH) 6-1 (4-7), 6-3
4. Sarah Pham (UTAH) def. Ana Guzman (RICE) 6-3, 7-6 (7-0)
5. Daniella Trigo (RICE) def. Lexi Provancha (UTAH) 6-2, 6-4
6. Kim Anicete (RICE) def. Paige Miles (UTAH) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 10-7
1. Anastasia Putilina/Paige Miles (UTAH) def. Rebekka Hänle/Ana Guzman (RICE) 8-5
2. Alex Rasch/Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Lucia Kovarcikova/Evgenia Kryuchkova (UTAH) 8-3
3. Jessica Jackson/Daniella Trigo (RICE) def. Lexi Provancha/Sarah Pham (UTAH) 8-6
Rice 7-3; National ranking #48
Utah 4-5; National ranking #43
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,5,1,4,6,2)