Feb. 14, 2010
The Rice women's tennis team completed a solid weekend of tennis at home, taking a 6-1 decision over Texas Tech at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium. Rice won 11 of 14 matches over the weekend while defeating 54th-ranked Arizona on Friday and Tech on Sunday.
"I was very proud that the team came out sharp today," Owls head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said. "We played with confidence and focus, which was important coming off the win over Arizona on Friday. We had great senior leadership today from Julie Chao and Becca Lin in both doubles and singles and that set the tone," she added.
Chao and Ana Guzman clinched the doubles point for the Owls (5-3) with an 8-5 win at No. 1 doubles. Chao, Lin, Guzman, Jessica Jackson and Rebekka Hänle rounded out the Owls scoring with straight-set wins in singles, with Guzman delivering the clinching point with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Natalie Leitch at No. 4 singles.
"I am pleased with the progress we are making, but we have another tough test coming up next weekend," Schmidt noted.
The Owls are slated to be back on the Jake Hess Stadium courts on Saturday morning when they host 17th ranked Arkansas at 11 a.m.
Rice 6, Texas Tech 1
1. #73 Rebekka Hänle (RICE) def. Sandra Dynka (TXTECH) 6-2, 6-0
2. Julie Chao (RICE) def. Kelsy Garland (TXTECH) 6-0, 6-2
3. Jessica Jackson (RICE) def. Elizabeth Ullathorne (TXTECH) 6-4, 6-2
4. Ana Guzman (RICE) def. Natalie Leitch (TXTECH) 6-2, 6-1
5. Rebecca Lin (RICE) def. Caroline Starck (TXTECH) 6-1, 6-3
6. Lorena Aviles (TXTECH) def. Daniella Trigo (RICE) 6-4, 6-2
1. Julie Chao/Ana Guzman (RICE) def. Elizabeth Ullathorne/Kelsy Garland (TXTECH) 8-5
2. #44 Alex Rasch/Jessica Jackson (RICE) def. Kerryn Potgieter/Caroline Starck (TXTECH) 8-5
3. Rebecca Lin/Rebekka Hänle (RICE) def. Natalie Leitch/Lorena Aviles (TXTECH) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,2,4,3,6,5)