Nov. 24, 2010
Meet The New Signees Photo Gallery
HOUSTON - Three prep swimmers with experience at the high school and club levels in the state of Texas have signed with Rice and will join the Owls in the fall of 2011, head swim coach Seth Huston announced on Wednesday (Nov. 24). The Owls' new signees are Casey Clark of Spring, Erin Flanigan of Austin, and Marissa Konicke of Plano.
Each of the signees has elite competitive and academic credentials. The signees' first semester at Rice begins in August of 2011. Coach Huston had high praise for the Owls' latest class, his ninth at Rice since taking the helm of the program.
"I think stacking this class on top of this year's current freshmen class brings us two strong back-to-back classes," Huston said. "Our goal of reaching the NCAA Championships become more realistic when we are signing Collegeswimming.com Top 100 recruits like we have the last couple of years. These young ladies will be the backbone of another great recruiting class."
2010-2011 Rice Swimming Signee Highlights
Casey Clark * Butterfly/Freestyle
Spring, Tex. (Klein HS / Premier Aquatics)
* 100 Fly 54.45; 200 Fly 2:01.49; 100 Free 50.61; 200 Free 1:49.15;
* U.S. Open qualifier/participant
* U.S. National qualifier/participant; Short-course national qualifier
* NISCA High School All-America (13 qualifications)
* Three-time Texas H.S. finalist
* District 13-5A Female Swimmer of the Year
* Coached by Mike McCauley (club)
* Coached by Tom Harwood (HS)
* USA Swimming Scholastic All-America
* Member of the National Honor Society; National Latin Honor Society
Coach Huston said: "Casey brings a wealth of much needed speed and versatility to the Rice Swim Team. Casey has the ability to help lift our relays to the NCAA Championship level as well as compete to win events in the CUSA. It was awesome to bring in one of the Houston area's best prep swimmers to Rice. We have watched Casey over the last several years and she has been at the top of our list since she made a junior visit last April and we got a chance to know her."
Casey Clark said: "I chose Rice because I like the feel of the smaller school. I enjoyed the class sizes and fit in well with the team. I feel like Rice is the perfect fit for me."
Erin Flanigan * Middle Distance Freestyle/Butterfly
Austin, Tex. (Bowie HS / Longhorn Aquatics)
* 200 Free 1:48.00; 500 Free 4:47.83; 100 Fly 56.07; 200 Fly 2:00.20;
* Qualified for 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials
* High School All-America
* Coached by Doug Rusk (club)
* Coached by Aaron Vohl (HS)
* USA Swimming Scholastic All-America
* Member of the National Honor Society; National Spanish Honor Society
Coach Huston said: "Erin was our first commitment. We were really excited with her commitment. Erin obviously see's what a Rice education means in this day and age. She comes from the famed Longhorn Aquatic Club in Austin. Erin has trained with the best and been extremely successful on the state and national level. She will make some big contributions at the top of the C-USA and NCAA Championships in the middle distance freestyle events and butterfly events."
Erin Flanigan said: "I chose Rice because athletically and academically it was the perfect fit for me. I fell in love with the campus and saw myself becoming successful there. Go Owls!"
Marissa Konicke * Freestyle Sprints/Breaststroke
Plano, Tex. (Plano HS / City of Plano Swimmers)
* 50 Free 23.74; 100 Free 52.27; 100 Breaststroke 1:06.56; 200 Breaststroke 2:22.24;
* Eight-time High School All-America
* Junior National qualifier/finalist
* Member of the Dallas Morning News Relay Team of the Year
* Coached by Steve Mateer (club)
* Coached by Philip Wiggins (HS)
* Member of the National Honor Society; National French Honor Society
Coach Huston said: "Marissa comes from a swimming family, with sisters at New Mexico State and SMU, and she is from one of the best clubs in Texas at the City of Plano Swimmers. We really liked Marissa's outgoing personality and think she will fit in great with our team. We plan to focus on the sprint events with Marissa. It is an area we need to improve in and I think Marissa's best swimming is ahead of her in college."
Marissa Konicke said: "During my visit, I felt like the team atmosphere, gorgeous new pool, coaching staff and location would all help me to achieve my fullest potential in swimming, academics and life."