Jan. 21, 2010
The Rice women's tennis team open their 2010 season with a 6-1 win over Texas A&M Corpus Christi on Wednesday. The match was moved indoors to the Galleria Racquet Club just before the start of play after a series of rain showers moved through the Houston area.
The Owls opened play quickly, sweeping the doubles matches while losing just three games, and went on to take five of the six singles matches.
"This was a great way for our team to start the spring season," Rice head coach Elizabeth Schmidt said., "They handled the switch to indoors very well and that type of flexibility is an important component of being a successful team. The team came out with a ton of energy and played disciplined tennis," she added.
Junior Rebekka Hänle, who opened the season ranked 73rd in the country, won her match at No. 1 singles and teamed with senior Becca Lin to capture their double match, 8-0.
The Owls will travel to Austin this weekend to take on 31st rank Texas at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center in Austin. The Longhorns feature three players who are nationally ranked, led by freshman Aeriel Ellis, who earned a #22 ranking after posting a 17-5 singles mark in the fall. In addition, the Horns top doubles team of Krista Damico and Amanda Craddock are ranked 27th.
The Owls will be back on their home court on Jan. 30 when they host Texas State at noon.
Rice 6, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 1
1. #73 Rebekka Hänle (RICE) def. Mirna Cicak (AMCC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Doris Kuselj (AMCC) def. Julie Chao (RICE) 2-6, 7-6 (6-4), 10-5
3. Jessica Jackson (RICE) def. Bianca Discordia (AMCC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Ana Guzman (RICE) def. Adrienne Kovacs (AMCC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Rebecca Lin (RICE) def. Nadia Filmalter (AMCC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Alex Rasch (RICE) def. Megan Harless (AMCC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Julie Chao/Ana Guzman (RICE) def. Mirna Cicak/Megan Harless (AMCC) 8-1
2. Jessica Jackson/Varsha Shiva-Shankar (RICE) def. LeAnne Mascall/Bianca Discordia (AMCC) 8-2
3. Rebecca Lin/Rebekka Hänle (RICE) def. Doris Kuselj/Nadia Filmalter (AMCC) 8-0